[squeak-dev] Re: Creating an image from first principles

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 09:07:28 UTC 2008

Andreas, the principles you have described is exactly the same, how i
doing bootstrap object memory in CorruptVM :)

First, i even having a special methods

SomeClass>>defineIn: anObjectMemory.

for each interesting classes.
But then i removed them , putting all code in CVMachineSimulator.
Its because to use these methods from where they located, i would need
to create new instances of these classes/or class objects in host
image (which holds simulator/bootstrapper).
I done this mainly to avoid invoking unwanted code (who knows what
#new in some class does).

But , in fact i think it would be better to keep #defineIn: for each
class. It just needs some more grounded thought.

And for creating intances of some class, we can do similar:
SomeClass>>defineInstanceIn: anObjectMemory arguments: array

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.