[squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Revival

cdrick cdrick65 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 09:04:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

> Hi all,
>
> last week, I published 2 polls (http://www.doodle.ch/5u67s53greapfdu6
> and http://www.doodle.ch/9y9r6nr2imci8g38) to help me know what you
> want for the squeak-dev images. From these polls, I can conclude that:
>
> - you are becoming more and more interested in 3.10
> - you believe some beta tools are stable enough to include in all
> images (Nice fonts, UI Enhancements and SUnitGUI-improved).

I like these 3, but this is true too that's a bit slow but I cope with
it. I just have problem with italic fonts (don't know if fixed in last
versions).

> However, I do not understand why so much people continue to download
> 3.9 based images. Maybe because there is the word 'beta' associated
> with 3.10 based images on my webpage.
>
> Here is my propositions for the future squeak-dev versions:
>
> - include Nice fonts, UI Enhancements and SUnitGUI-improved in all images
> - only base one image on top of 3.9 and update it less often. I still
> haven't decided if this image will contain the web stuffs or not. Any
> opinion?
> - create 2 stable dev- and web- images based on 3.10
> - create a beta 3.10 based dev-image. I plan to use Level Playing
> Field and Packages to generate this image. I will also put Algernon,
> the new Diff tools and other beta pakages in it.

I like the experimental idea.

It could also be squeak-dev-basic and squeak-dev-full where the later
is less performant but comes with several "beta" tools.

> Could you please give me your opinion on these choices? Do I have to
> create another poll for something?

I think the main effort must go for "squeak-dev-basic" with for
instance the test reports etc...
squeak-dev-full is a show-up, we can cope with little problems
(otherwise that won't be squeak ;) ). And I think that be nice to have
a script (Installer or whatever, that we can tweak) that transform a
basic in full.

> Thank you

Thanks a lot to you ;)

Cédrick