[squeak-dev] Overrides in newest Monticellos?

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 13 20:43:47 UTC 2008

Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>> http://gbracha.blogspot.com/2008/03/monkey-patching.html
>
> I agree with Gilad that extensions and specially overrides (aka monkey
> patching) are dangerous thing to do if you aren't aware of
> consequences, but on the other hand he also concluded that there isn't
> better and established way to solve the problem.
>
> I myself try to follow two rules:
>
> - never override stuff from other,
> - do overrides only of my own stuff, in my control and in my images.
>
> That means that I make overrides only in end packages, for instance
> customer specific ones, which are at the end of chain, not overriden
> with any more package.
>
> That way clashes with others overriding the same stuff are more or
> less avoided while advantages of overrides are preserved.
>
> Janko
Getting overrides to work correctly was the whole reason for working on
MC1.5, though judging from the answers so far it doesnt seem like many
people are aware of this.  Personally I cant understand how anyone
actually uses squeak for anything serious without it.

The best way to load MC1.5 is with LPF see:
http://installer.pbwiki.com/LevelPlayingField

Keith