[squeak-dev] caps-lock treated like shift-lock

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 14:25:17 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 15 Jul 2008 7:15:23 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Am 15.07.2008 um 06:41 schrieb K. K. Subramaniam:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Squeak treats caps-lock key like a shift-lock key. When capslock is
> > on, Squeak
> > picks up the shifted key instead of just upper-casing alphabets.
> >
> > Many new notebook computers have tiny indicators for capslock on and
> > children
> > get confused working in Squeak when they turn caps-lock on
> > accidentally.
> >
> > Am I the only one to find this annoying?
>
> No, you are not. I think this is specific to the Unix VM though.
Sounds likely. I found
---- olpc/platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c line 2311
         int shift= 1 & ((state >> ShiftMapIndex) ^ (state >> LockMapIndex));

Shift state should not depend on caps-lock state. Caps lock should be handled
by display driver for changing case only and not to affect shift state. If
caps lock is used to affect shift, then button mappings in squeak would get
affected.

Subbu