[squeak-dev] Technology choice for the next generation of www.squeak.org and friends

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Jul 18 00:22:27 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Brad" == Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> writes:

Brad> When I read this, I thought to myself "what?" The board is going to
Brad> decide? Hmmm...

Brad> I'm on the website team, and I don't even think we should decide
Brad> either! My suggestion is that we should put it up to everyone here on
Brad> the list, just like everything else. If you're not interested, that's
Brad> ok.  If there is some disagreement, great! If there is a tie, then
Brad> maybe the board should break it. But I, for one, would like the
Brad> community to decide after discussion.

OK, the discussion has been ongoing for four months.  Nothing came of it,
except for another recent burst of activity that looked like a step in the
right direction, and then died again.

We noticed the absence of closure in this week's meeting.  Thus it *is* time
to "call for the vote".  That's what's happening now, but with one final
comment period to make sure we take a proper pulse of today's community.

Really, I would rather that it simply "have happened".  But I'm happy to have
the board step in and say "ok, let's do *something*".

Also, keep in mind that the board *is* ultimately elected to be the
representatives of the community, so if the board asks the webteam to choose
solution A instead of B, it's ultimately the "community's choice".