[squeak-dev] Re: Maintenance of remote references

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Fri Jul 18 19:06:55 UTC 2008

>I want to hear
> > more ideas. So thinking loud is welcome.
>
> Have you considered how to avoid cyclic remote references, anything
> positive into this direction would be valuable for
> (currently) a small
> group of people ;) TIA.
>
> We discuss and make plans for implementing models analogous
> to yours, with
> multiple Smalltalk .images, each with own native thread, on n-core
> machines. We recently found one model which apparently cannot
> avoid cyclic
> remote references :(
>
> /Klaus

Hi Klaus,

glad to hear that I'm not alone with this industrial crisis. The only thing I
can think of is using sessions. So when a session is closed or expires the
system notifies remote brokers telling the group of ids of objects to be
considered free for that session (and of course eventually claimed if no other
session is referencing them). Maybe you want/need a more general approach? If we
deny to give up to consistency I don't see lots of alternatives. I'm starting to
wonder what happen in real world to solve this problematic pattern-problem...
hhmmm...

Sebastian