[squeak-dev] Re: new blog post plus closure bootstrap code

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed Jul 23 13:34:22 UTC 2008

Hi Eliot,

on Wed, 23 Jul 2008 03:14:51 +0200, you wrote:

> Hi All,
>     I've made a significant step today in making available the first cut
> of
> my closure scheme.  There is a new blog post on
> www.mirandabanda.org/cogblogabout the closure bytecodes which at the
> end includes a pointer to the
> bootstrap @ www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/Closures0808/Bootstrap/.  The
> bootstrap has been tested on internal Qwaq images, and on Croquet 1.0 and
> Squeak 3.9.

Terrific !

> I'd love to hear of other ports, e.g. to 3.10 and to Spoon.
>  I'm interested in bug reports (I haven't yet tested eToys) and code
> reviews

I've parsed quite a bunch of the .cs files from your directory and found
only *good* things (since I have not much to compare against when reading
them with a web browser ;) like for example #methodClass during boot; also
putting (s := myStream upToEnd) into Parser's loop on
ReparseAfterSourceEditing; also the new bytecodes which look damned cool !
:)

Wish I could compare more, against original methods and by using Smalltalk
tools for example, what 3.9 plus VMMaker did you use (patches?). Can I
prepare an .image by myself or do you intend to upload a prepared one?

/Klaus