[squeak-dev] Re: new blog post plus closure bootstrap code

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 20:03:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good news Elliot! To what i see, changes you made are not too hard to
> merge with Hydra changes. :)

Good.  I would be very surprised if I did anything incompatible.  I want to
change as little as possible only to enable closures and a context-to-stack
mapping VM.  I would doubt that either my Stack VM or a JIT that derives
from it would have significant conflicts with Hydra and that these would be
resolvable quite easily.  You are making VMs play together I'm merely
speeding up the execution core.

Too bad, i had little time to work with Hydra for last two weeks.

> There are little news, except that Hydra able to run Qwaq Forums on
> win32, and it does it quite stable.

Excellent.  The StackVM is nearly able to run forums (it at least starts
up).  I'm taking a couple of days away form it to finish some blog posts on
closures.

> Yesterday i started writing a CodeGenerator changes overview, i think
> i'll finish it tomorrow.
>
> I'm also planned to release an update of Hydra sources and VMMaker
> package.. but i postponing release day by day.. because i'm little
> nervous, can't really tell the reason..
> Maybe because, if these changes, after some evaluation show that VM is
> quite stable, this will mean declaring a Hydra VM entering a Beta
> stage (on win32 platform only for now).  :)

I think you should wait until after ESUG.  We should meet at ESUG, show each
other our modifications and then publish a merge.  What do you think?