[squeak-dev] Attempting to get VMMaker properly on SqueakSource

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Jul 24 01:27:05 UTC 2008

On 23-Jul-08, at 5:33 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:45:44PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
>> I'm currently trying to set up the VMMaker SqueakSource project so
>> that we can share access a bit more easily; things like adding people
>> as developers, putting some verbiage in the wiki etc.
>
> Bravo, thank you for doing this.

I *think* everything is uploaded now. It is certainly possible that I
could have missed an ancestor package somewhere along the line. Anyone
spotting a hole, please let me know.

>> Right now it's not going very well because the response time is
>> utterly dismal - with a capital *yawn* - and I'm wondering whether
>> others have this problem. If it's normal for everything to take so
>> long I think we won't be very happy.
>
> I've never had a problem with performance on SqueakSource. I don't
> really know what SqueakSource does over the network, but it's pretty
> common for network latency to be the dominant factor in performance
> of things like this. From Michigan, I'm seeing a ping time of a bit
> over 150 msec. For comparison, how is it looking from your location?
I see a couple of hundred mSec ping time but the issue that bugs me in
the slow response on the web side of the job. I seems to take 2-5 sec
to do most web transactions. Gets really annoying after a few dozen!

Anyway as I said, the upload is done and I've added several developers
to the project to see if we can make it work.
Dave, Andreas, Eliot, John & Ian are all signed in. The latest version
is from a month ago when I had time to 'fix' mantis 7072. If you look
at the bugs assigned to me you can get an idea of what should come next.

tim
Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day
consuming only things that are good for you.