HydraVM win32 update (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: new blog post plus closure bootstrap code)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 16:32:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 7:27 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/7/23 Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Good news Elliot! To what i see, changes you made are not too hard to
> >> merge with Hydra changes. :)
> >
> > Good.  I would be very surprised if I did anything incompatible.  I want
> > change as little as possible only to enable closures and a
> context-to-stack
> > mapping VM.  I would doubt that either my Stack VM or a JIT that derives
> > from it would have significant conflicts with Hydra and that these would
> be
> > resolvable quite easily.  You are making VMs play together I'm merely
> > speeding up the execution core.
> >

> I done writing a small overview of code generator changes.
> You can find it there: http://squeakvm.org/~sig/hydravm/codegen.html
>

> >> Too bad, i had little time to work with Hydra for last two weeks.
> >>
> >> There are little news, except that Hydra able to run Qwaq Forums on
> >> win32, and it does it quite stable.
> >
> > Excellent.  The StackVM is nearly able to run forums (it at least starts
> > up).  I'm taking a couple of days away form it to finish some blog posts
> on
> > closures.
> >

> >> Yesterday i started writing a CodeGenerator changes overview, i think
> >> i'll finish it tomorrow.
> >>
> >> I'm also planned to release an update of Hydra sources and VMMaker
> >> package.. but i postponing release day by day.. because i'm little
> >> nervous, can't really tell the reason..
> >> Maybe because, if these changes, after some evaluation show that VM is
> >> quite stable, this will mean declaring a Hydra VM entering a Beta
> >> stage (on win32 platform only for now).  :)
> >
> > I think you should wait until after ESUG.  We should meet at ESUG, show
> each
> > other our modifications and then publish a merge.  What do you think?
> >

> Definitely, we should merge efforts :)
> Well, your changes is not backwards compatible with current squeak
> images, while Hydra can run them w/o problems.

My changes _are_ backward compatible.  I add five new bytecodes taken from
the unused experimental bytecodes.  The existing bytecodes are still
supported and the VM runs both closures and BlockContext blocks
side-by-side.

I have another VM in the works which does context-to-stack mapping and that
only runs closures.  But I have yet to publish this or the Slang changes
that go with it.