[squeak-dev] Squeak as DLL

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sun Jul 27 14:42:24 UTC 2008

Hi,

thanks for a lot of information.

Please see my reply to Igor's post why C variants are an alternative I
try to avoid. Especially as I'd have to pay the programmers.

a> I have tried DotNet Bridge with Squeak to control AutoCAD to do CAD
a> automation. It works pretty well but it is Squeak controlling all the time.
a> It may be possible to extend it to work both ways.

You are much advanced to me and your demands on the CAD are much
higher than mine. We need the CAD more or less as an engine to
statically draw plans and pick objects. In cases we dynamically drag
parameterized constructions Lisp was fast enough 5 years ago.

a> I would really like to create addons with Squeak. So I am willing to help
a> any effort to make that possible.

Igor's suggestion about sockets seems very valid here. From your links
you seem to be using VB6. I verified from ACAD 2002 to 2007 they use
VBA6, ACAD2000 doesn't specify its VB version.

So writing a VB6 dll to access sockets sockets and using that dll in
VBA should make it possible to communicate with any Squeak. And you
don't have to sign the arx license.

OTOH for you it might be easier to make your DotNet bidirectional.
IMHO also no ugly license.

If rumours that ACAD 2010 will drop Lisp prove correct I see a chance
for a Lisp across ACAD, ACAD LT and BricsCad (maybe even PowerCAD)
that will support some basic socket functionality.

A bit OT I guess but maybe we have some more CAD related people
around.

Cheers,

Herbert