[squeak-dev] File creation time wrong on Mac

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jul 30 00:55:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 06:08:00PM +0200, stephane ducasse wrote:
> Hi john
>
> This is strange because I have some old pictures and I want to rename
> them based on their creation
> time and not modification time. So I was really paying attention
> because I really do not want to
> lose such information before my renaming (you know young kids....).
> I will check with the latest mac VM.

On a unix system (probably including OS X), "man 2 stat" gives an
explanation. If you have a picture file and have not modified it, the
creation time and modification time would be the same thing.

File systems are not platform independent. A "file" is just a metaphor,
and it means different things to different operating systems. And of
course to Squeak it does not need to mean very much at all, because Squeak
does not need such a metaphor :)

Dave