[squeak-dev] Q: Is it all right for TTCfonts to have non-integer heights?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Jul 31 22:45:58 UTC 2008

> >  In the Squeak world, it is ok if it works^^;
>
> I know. But I doesn't quite.
> TTCFont>>ascent has a code hole
>  that leads to infinite recursion under certain conditions.
> There are several different versions of TTCFont>>ascent.
> AFAIK all the ones currently in use including oplc/3.8 have this property.
> Ralph Johnson patched around this in 3.10.
> To prevent the certain condition, fallback fonts are limited to strikefonts.
>  IMO this is unsatisfactory and undesirable.

  Could you tell me the certain condition?

> So if you could give this matter a little more serious thought
>  and help my quest for understanding with a clue or two?
> It would be appreciated.

  Sorry if my previous message sounded ignorant.

> I am concerned here about "height" not width.
> Do you know where the truncation takes place?
> Where should I look for it?

TTCFont>>displayString:on:from:to:at:kern:baselineY:

iterates over a string and display it.  BitBlt>>destX:,
etc. internally and eventually truncates (in
fetchIntOrFloat:ofObject:ifNil:) the numbers passed.

  Thank you!

-- Yoshiki