[squeak-dev] Re: The version 3.10 does not work on Linux.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Jun 1 06:27:13 UTC 2008

Well actually we had a huge difference of opinion in versioning within
the Sophie team and I learned versioning is fairly irrational and
a political football at times.

As background, in 1996 era the entire VM source code *was* distributed
within the image. Because of this for years the VM version was
tightly coupled to the image version, since each VM change for the
macintosh required pushing out a new changeset and linking that
somehow to the Image version number.  So I'll assume guilt for keeping
that cycle going for years.

Lately (read years) the VMs have moved away from daily/weekly/monthly
changes, well perhaps not the macintosh VM, but that is because
Apple keeps pushing out different versions of OSX and changing the
rules, even beyond fostering migration from powerpc to macintel.
Vista users are you happy? (couldn't resist, thought not... ).

Really I suspect the VM version numbers should fully decouple from the
image version numbers, really nothing requires one to use a 3.10 image
to build a  VM that will work with a 3.10, I'm quite happy to continue
working with my 3.8 VMMaker image...

At the moment I'm fully occupied with a VM rewrite, post Sophie era,
so I'll take hints on what the new macintosh version should be called...

--
=
=