[squeak-dev] Re: A criticism of the Nile paper (was Re: My view on Traits)

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Tue Jun 3 21:04:40 UTC 2008

Andreas Raab a écrit :

> I mean that some of the basics of the Squeak stream hierarchy got put
> into place some twenty years ago and some assumptions simply changed
> over time. I would expect the same to be true for Nile, in particular if
> the quantitative reuse of traits is higher. For example, consider that a
> trait defines an operation that raises an exception (#next anyone? ;-)
> and that five years later you figured you were wrong and that you'd
> rather have it silently return nil. Can you fix that at this point?
> Seems *very* unlikely if those traits are widely used. So what happens
> is that every "new" user of that trait will start overwriting the method
> so you get into precisely the same situation as with the current
> collection hierarchy. It seems unavoidable in the long term that some of
> these issues will happen (and yes, "in theory" all of that is fixable
> but I'm talking about a practical situation).
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Hello Andreas,
If you insist on it, yes, I must agree that answering nil at the end of
a Character Stream is a good trade-off and a simple lightweight
implementation.
(Due to low cost of == nil, Exception becomes faster only for large files).
But, it is also a very dumb thing to do with generic Streams of Objects:

Collection allSubInstances count: [:e | [e includes: nil] ifError: [false]].

My image counts 16785 such nil holders...

Cheers