[squeak-dev] Re: A criticism of the Nile paper (was Re: My view on Traits)

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Tue Jun 3 22:41:03 UTC 2008

Andreas Raab a écrit :

> I'm not insisting on *anything*. I'm making up an example where a
> reasonable person could come up with arguments either way and where -as
> time goes by- the arguments may way out differently. This had absolutely
> nothing to do with actual Stream>>next behavior; it had everything to do
> with the fact that there are good reasons for making it go either way.
> And no, I have absolutely no interest in discussing this issue and will
> stay out of any further discussion about what the "right" stream
> behavior is.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Seems like I missed the interesting point.

What would be the single inheritance scheme? Provide some kind of
pluggable behaviour with additional inst vars like an
objectToReturnWhenAtEndOfStream or a blockToExecuteWhenAtEndOfStream?

Your proposing to override when the logic would be to fragment in more
traits.

It seems appealing to construct a custom stream from traits composition:
Readable , AnswerNilAtEndOFStream , CanStepOneObjectBack (Peekable).
But I agree that the price seems high (leads to greater fragmentation of
code with distributed constraints, or in other words less encapsulation
and more interfaces).

Nicolas