[squeak-dev] Smalltalk vmParameterAt:put: ?

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Thu Jun 5 13:23:47 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am having problems parsing and reading some csv data files which are
large. 25-50mb each. Each containing about 300,000 rows.
In the end I will 10s of millions of objects from these files.

I am using the latest squeak-dev image. My import program starts of
fine, but uses almost 100% of a cpu. The image is consuming more memory
as it goes, but I have only seen it get to 128mb or so.

So in an effort to get my data imported so that I can study it, and not
to have to use Python to do so. I started searching the squeak archives,
because I thought I remember some magic settings which helped memory
management, garbageCollection or something.

I found the 100 million objects thread and I copied Andreas code that he
uses for QF into a method to initialize the settings.

Which has a lot of messages like:
Smalltalk vmParameterAt: 5 put: 40000. "allocations between GCs
(default: 4000)"

But when I run the method I get this error.

SystemDictionary(Object)>> doesNotUnderstand: #vmParameterAt:put:

I opened up a couple of other clean images. Same problem.

Any help understanding why that isn't working would be greatly
appreciated.  And how I can get it working. :)

Thanks.

Jimmie