[squeak-dev] [ANN] CommandShell 4.2.1

Cesar Rabak cesar.rabak at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 14:00:45 UTC 2008

David T. Lewis escreveu:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 04:40:33PM -0300, Cesar Rabak wrote:
>> Dear David,
>>
>> I'm attempting to install the CommandShell package in my Squeak images
>> and I get an "Error: only integers should be used as indices" be it in
>> the current Squeak3.10.1-7175-basic.image as the ealier
>> Squeak3.9-final-7067.image.
>>
>> Since such a thing has to be some mishap on my side as it could not have
>> passed unnoticed by so much time since the release, I'm asking for help
>> as I cannot figure out what I could be doing wrong....
>
> Hello Cesar,
>
> This is caused by a bug in recent versions of CommandShell (thanks to Don
> McLane <dmclane at u.washington.edu> for finding the problem).

I see. The backtrace seemed to me too obvious for going unnoticed!

> As a work-around, please try loading the OSProcess package first, then load
> CommandShell. This will allow CommandShell to work properly.

I'll check this more thoroughly then, as Package Universe Browser does
this automatically, but when trying it in a clean image
(Squeak3.10.1-7175-basic.image), it installs OSProcess and then freezes
at the intallation of CommandShell.

> Also, if you are using SqueakMap to load CommandShell, try doing "update map
> from the net" in your SqueakMap package loader. The most recently published
> version of CommandShell is 4.2.3.

Yes that's what I attempted. Here is the bottom of the info at Package
Universe Browser:

<quote>
Maintained by: dtl
Downloads from:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/1914/CommandShellV4-2-3.sar
Homepage: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1914
</quote>

> Dave
>
> p.s. The fix for this bug is in SqueakSource at http://www.squeaksource.com/CommandShell,
> but I have not "officially" released it as CommandShell 4.2.4, so maybe I should
> do that now ;)

The names of the mcz files at this URL does not seem to include anything
  for version 4.

Would the newest be CommandShell-dtl.34.mcz?

TIA

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.