[squeak-dev] documentation and bugs (sq-dev image)

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 13:23:58 UTC 2008

Hi Ross,

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Ross Boylan <ross at biostat.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> I'm using Damien's sq3.10-7159dev08.06.1 image, which seems to have lots
> of neat tools.  But it doesn't seem to have much documentation on them,
> either in the image or on the wiki.  Maybe I'm just not looking in the
> right places.  There are also some behaviors that seem as if they might
> be bugs.

squeak-dev images come with some documentation. When you first open an
image, a script manager appears and some info is written here. You can
reopen the ScriptManager from the world->open... menu. However, there
is very few documents.

> Taking the possible bugs first, would the best route be to report them
> here, put them in the squeak bug tracker, mail Damien, contact the
> creator of the package, or contact the maintainer of the package?  I'm
> guessing the first, but I'm not sure.

Please submit the bugs to bugs.squeak.org. You have to choose between
two projects: Squeak and Squeak Packages. Choose the first one if it
is related to Squeak itself. You also have to choose the package in
which the bug appears (OmniBrowser, eCompletion...).

> On the documentation, the main system browser ("OB Package Browser") has
> all kinds of graphical clues on it, with little icons appearing next to
> some items, and some of the items in italics.  What do they mean?

Someone must write documentation about these icons. David, can you
find some time?

> For ToolBuilder, I can't find an explanation of the standard work flow
> to use it.  I can probably figure this out from some of the code that
> does use it in the image, but it would be nice to have a little
> statement what to do.

Look at the TestRunner class which is a good example of ToolBuilder use.

Read Squeak By Example http://squeakbyexample.org/

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good