[squeak-dev] Re: Linux and ttyUSB0

Séverin Lemaignan skadge at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 01:52:00 UTC 2008

> While I agree the new plugin would be nice to have (and I would certainly
> use it), couldn't you just run the command from Squeak using OSProcess as
> part of the initialization?

Not really because we can have several USB boards connected at the
same time, without knowing, a priori, their number (ttyUSBx). We have
an automatic detection mechanism : we write on the first 10 COM ports
a string and read an answer when one of our board is present. Works
fine under Windows, but under Linux or MacOS... I could link *all* the
ttyUSB to the corresponding ttyS, but... well... it's a bit dirty :-)
and could bring some conflicts if traditional serial devices are
plugged and already use the ttySx.

Severin