[squeak-dev] Re: Bug in BytecodeGenerator>>#jump:if:

nice ncellier at ifrance.com
Sun Jun 22 15:25:42 UTC 2008

Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
> You'd probably compile a method which would trigger the bug and run it
> through the simulator. The simulator would most likely generate some
> kind of array out of bounds exception, but it can't crash the image.
>
> Cheers,
> Hans-Martin

That's a clever way to follow.
Eventually, if the Simulator doesn't raise an Exception we can still
assert the result of execution.

But my joke was about the dogma "provide a failure test before your
change is accepted in Squeak".

Correcting such bug is ten times easier than writing a TestCase, and is
an emergency. So in some exceptional cases like this the dogma should be
"Correct immediately then provide a non regression test case".

Nicolas