[squeak-dev] Perl is to CPAN as Squeak is to (what)?

Claus Kick claus_kick at web.de
Fri Jun 27 17:29:51 UTC 2008

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Since I promised the folks in #squeak I would start this thread...
>
> It's been my observation for quite a while that Squeak is missing
> the equivalent of what Perl has in the CPAN.

Yes.

*snip CPAN description*

> Any CPAN package can declare that it is dependent on another CPAN package, or
> even particular versions of core-installed packages.  The CPAN installer can
> be told to automatically or manually install all dependencies (or even ignore
> them, but that's rarely wise).

Updating the CPAN installer itself can be a bit of a PITA, though. I
have one server at work where updating CPAN is simply not working.

*snip*

> Here's what I know (and I could be wrong):
> Squeakmap - *everything* is "registered", so cooperation is hard
> Squeaksource - no index is made, so you have to find things yourself
> Universes - like Squeakmap
> Sake/Packages - single point of update, making publishing hard
>
> And except for Squeakmap, there's none of these that have been in all of the
> recent Squeak releases for installation, so we have a bootstrapping problem.
> Even installing Universes is hard from Squeakmap. :)
>
> And all of these systems are missing dependency and automatic upgrade
> management.
>
> Can we discuss something like the CPAN for Squeak?

I think It would be a start to agree on one of the four above mentioned
systems, like CST has it with the public store (whatever problems STORE
itself might have aside).

The absence of something like STORE/CPAN that is what is driving me
towards CST.

The existence of CPAN is keeping me with Perl ;)