[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak Package Management

Derrell Piper ddp at electric-loft.org
Fri Jun 27 17:57:03 UTC 2008

As a relative newcomer here, I want to echo this sentiment.  It is
entirely unclear how SqueakMap, Monticello, and Package Universe Browser
relate to each other evolutionarily or operationally.  I really have no
idea what constitutes the authoritative source for any given package.
And reading this post, I'm not even sure if "Sake/Packages" is the same
as one of these or yet something else...

In contrast to, dare I say, ASDF-INSTALL, which is at least wired to
Cliki, or CPAN, or pkg_install (FreeBSD), or MacPorts, all of which just
"know" where to go to get packages and have at least rudimentary query
capabilities.  MacPorts in particular tracks both dependencies and has a
notion of versioning, though admittedly the version problem is much more
easily solved for shared libraries than it is for Smalltalk.

I do think you need to consider this as one of the most pressing
problems you face in garnering new adoption and new developers.  I'd
also suggest taking a look at the Python and Ruby communities, both of
which are thriving with new code and shared development.