[squeak-dev] Perl is to CPAN as Squeak is to (what)?

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Fri Jun 27 19:29:17 UTC 2008

Randal L. Schwartz a écrit :
> Make it as easy as listed above, including scaling so that 20 people can all
> "publish" in the same 5-minute window without knowing a darn thing about each
> other, and you'll have what I'm setting as the goal.  Your Packages isn't
> meant for that.  Squeakmap is a lot closer, but is missing a few things,
> perhaps borrowed from Universes.  We just all need to come together to make
> this happen.

maybe what SqueakMap is missing is first-class actual objects for
package description. I mean that saying "this package Y loads into 3.9"
should be done by instanciating some kind of VersionCompatibility object
(the structure of which I have no real ideas about) and "this package Y
requires package X" would instanciate a PackageFetcher for X, which
along with the VersionCompatibility of both X and Y and the
PackageFetcher of X would figure out how to intall the whole thingy.

to say it differently, packages and their interactions should be made
first-class citizens of Squeak, so that the packages themselves can
reason about how and where they can be installed.

of course I have no clue about the actual implementation :) this is just
a sketch..

Stef