[squeak-dev] Perl is to CPAN as Squeak is to (what)?

Claus Kick claus_kick at web.de
Sat Jun 28 12:27:20 UTC 2008

> > The absence of something like STORE/CPAN that is what is driving me
> > towards CST.
> >
> > The existence of CPAN is keeping me with Perl ;)
> The existence of sake/packages to enable me to consistently build and
> debug the building of the production image that I want is helping to
> keep me sane! (after attempting to achieve what I needed with Universes
> drove me mad for a couple of weeks)
>
> The last thing we need is yet another package management system, when we
> have hardly started using the features of the existing ones.

I do not think there is need for another package management system, I just think that there should be an agreement on using and expanding _one_, incorporating what is best about all the others. I realize that means stepping on many, many toes and legs and probably even heads, but I think things need to be streamlined a bit.

If push comes to shove, I would even say, lets ditch them all and just use SVN like the rest of the planet (if that is possible). It is hard enough to sell a image-based language with a real IDE to the C-style crowd, the package  management systems should not add their grain of salt to the soup.

--
Claus Kick

"Wenn Sie mich suchen: Ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf.
Genauer gesagt auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik.
Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst, nicht weit weg von Irrwitz und Idiotie."

"If you are looking for me: I am somewhere near to lunacy.
More clearly, on the narrow path between lunacy and panic.
Right around the corner of  fear of death,
not far away from idiotism and insanity."