[squeak-dev] Monticello Version Numbers (minor update)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jun 28 12:52:21 UTC 2008

Am 28.06.2008 um 14:02 schrieb Keith Hodges:

> Some people are under the impression that filename formats in
> monticello are not very well defined. This is definitely not the case.
>
> There is, and has been for a while, a spec for the filename formats
> together with a test suite for their parsing.
>
> So if you want to be backwards, or forwards compatible, it is not
> advisable to just start using any old scheme for your mcz filenames.
>
> For example you cannot use $- in your authors initials or version
> numbers, you can however use a space if you want to use full names
> for some reason.

These are conventions that should be followed unless you understand
the implications, no doubt about that. However, Monticello was
explicitly designed to not place meaning on file names, or to enforce
a particular development style (like having a trunk with branches
etc). It's "only" that various UI tools will get confused if you break
the conventions these tools assume (and I admit being guilty of making
tools that assume that too, like the highlighting of ancestors of
versions that are already loaded).

- Bert -