[squeak-dev] SqueakMap is a "Showroom"

Damien Pollet damien.pollet at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 16:00:05 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure I understand, is this deliberately ignoring all
>> integration problems ?
>
> No, I am saying use Monticello for handling integration problems.  If
> you load one multipackage software system (MPSS) from SqueakMap and
> another different MPSS has a earlier version of one of the same
> prerequisites, you open up a Monticello browser, load the specific one
> you want, run the test cases, etc.
>
> If these two MPSS's really have a purpose together in the same image
> then you are developing yet a new MPSS based on these other two.
> Monticello is the appropriate tool for assisting with that integration
> (not SqueakMap).
>
> Once you've got them together you can easily post your own *new* MPSS
> to SqueakMap which combines the function of the other two.

So basically, either users duplicate the integration work for
combinations of packages not prepared before, or they publish their
combination for others to reuse, resulting in as many new specialized
combination packages ?

First, this kinda defeats the purpose of a package system to me, and
second, what difference does that make w.r.t MC configurations?

--
Damien Pollet