[squeak-dev] Perl is to CPAN as Squeak is to (what)?

Claus Kick claus_kick at web.de
Sat Jun 28 21:08:34 UTC 2008

> On 28-Jun-08, at 5:27 AM, Claus Kick wrote:
>
> > If push comes to shove, I would even say, lets ditch them all and
> > just use SVN like the rest of the planet (if that is possible). It
> > is hard enough to sell a image-based language with a real IDE to the
> > C-style crowd, the package  management systems should not add their
> > grain of salt to the soup.
>
> Been there, done that... <shudder/>

Trying to get SVN to work or trying to sell Smalltalk to the C people, or both? :)

> Monticello was created because this turned out not to be feasible in
> practice.

Could you please elucidate the main obstacles to this approach?

>The simple fact is that Smalltalk *is* image based, and
> that's a feature, not a bug. For those who can't accept that, there's
> Ruby.

I agree, in principle - though I would have liked slls to stay outside the image, that makes changing them externally much easier.
Instead that meant, unloading, reloading and sometimes crossing your thumbs and hoping all would go well and not fry your image.

--
Claus Kick

"Wenn Sie mich suchen: Ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf.
Genauer gesagt auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik.
Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst, nicht weit weg von Irrwitz und Idiotie."

"If you are looking for me: I am somewhere near to lunacy.
More clearly, on the narrow path between lunacy and panic.
Right around the corner of  fear of death,
not far away from idiotism and insanity."