[squeak-dev] Craig's 2008 campaign platform

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Sat Mar 1 00:04:52 UTC 2008

      (from [1])

Hi--

      My first priority is to finish putting the Squeak project on a
solid legal footing. Through membership in the Software Freedom
Conservancy, the project will be able to receive tax-exempt donations.
We can use that money to fund our infrastructure (e.g., servers and
connectivity), as well as system development and outreach. I have been
working with the Conservancy toward our membership, and would like to
see this to completion.

      With the initial Squeak release now available under a common
open-source license, and agreements from most of our contributors, the
most pressing task is to make a new release composed entirely of
appropriately-licensed material. I would like to choose and lead a
release team to accomplish this task. I think we should also take this
opportunity to create the next major release, Squeak 4. It is long past
time that we incorporate several major improvements to the system, and
make real progress in modularity.

      We've had regular leadership elections for three years now; this
is a very good thing. So far, though, I don't think the elections have
resulted in clear technical mandates, mostly because the candidates
haven't advocated strong technical positions. In my own case, I've been
hesitant to advocate my own modularity work[2] when running for the
board, because I haven't finished implementing it. I think we need a
mandate now with regard to modularity, so that we can keep the releases
well-organized in the future after going to the trouble of our
relicensing effort.

      Let's turn our attention to Squeak 4 now. Let's create a kernel
with nothing extraneous in it, and a module system we can use to keep
the organization clear. I think the result will be much easier to learn,
and far more pleasant to use. Getting there will be difficult, but it
will be worth it.

      Please do contact me with any questions or feedback.

      thanks!

      Craig Latta

--
[1] http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/82.html