[squeak-dev] Re: The "correct" approach to multi-core systems.

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Mar 2 21:50:43 UTC 2008

nicolas cellier wrote:
> Yes but the spirit is also to build a VM able to hide some low level
> details like memory allocation...

As well as the details of method lookup etc.

> Smalltalk programmers are released from these release problems...
> Free to concentrate on higher level problems.
>
> Wouldn't this apply to threads too?

Absolutely. What we need is a *model* of concurrency (just like we have
a *model* for managing memory a *model* for sending messages, a *model*
for linked stack frames) and then have the VM implement that model of
concurrency as effectively as possible.

Cheers,
   - Andreas