[squeak-dev] Copying a file from Squeak on Linux

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Mar 2 22:15:45 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 12:31:55PM -0500, Bill Schwab wrote:
> I thought to load OS Process, but Squeak exited silently (sadly, I did
> not think to look for an error until after the log was overwritten by a
> subsequent error).  I tried again and it loaded normally; is OSProcess
> stable?

Bill,

OSProcess should be stable on Unix/Linux, and I think that most of its
functions work on OS/X. It's not much use on Windows. If you encounter
this problem again on a Linux system, I would be grateful for any details
you can provide.

I'm not sure that I understand what you are trying to do, but if
you mean to move or copy files using unix commands driven by Squeak,
then the combination of OSProcess and CommandShell will help, but this
would be a platform-specific solution.

Note also that Squeak has the FileCopyPlugin (you may need to build
it yourself with VMMaker if it's not in your VM, I'm not sure). This
is attempt to provide some of the file copy behavior that you are trying
to achieve, and it should work on multiple platforms, so possibly
that would be of some help.

See FileList>>primitiveCopyFileNamed:to: which uses the FileCopyPlugin.

Dave