[squeak-dev] Copying a file from Squeak on Linux

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sun Mar 2 22:49:54 UTC 2008

Dave,

Thanks for the read on OSProces; I will try it a few more times and see
what happens.  As an aside, I have long thought that the error log
should append vs. truncate by default; this is by no means the first
time I have lost data due to the current behavior.  Whenever I have a
stubborn problem, I alter the logging code, but it is often too late for
something (hopefully) transient like this.

Back to my immediate goal, a Linux-specific solutoin is perfectly
adequate, as I already have a working solution on Windows.  The
exchanges occur between a "floppy" (now typically a flash drive) and the
local file system.  So, I can get Windows to copy to the stick, and then
have Squeak copy from the stick to the file system and back.

The copy plugin appears not to be in my VM.  To be safe though, how
would I test that?  So far, all I have found is to call a function in
the plugin, which could fail for various reasons besides the code not
being present.

Thanks,

Bill

============================
"David T. Lewis" <lewis at ...> lewis at ...  wote:

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 12:31:55PM -0500, Bill Schwab wrote:
> I thought to load OS Process, but Squeak exited silently (sadly, I did
> not think to look for an error until after the log was overwritten by
> subsequent error). I tried again and it loaded normally; is OSProcess
> stable?

Bill,

OSProcess should be stable on Unix/Linux, and I think that most of its
functions work on OS/X. It's not much use on Windows. If you encounter
this problem again on a Linux system, I would be grateful for any
details
you can provide.

I'm not sure that I understand what you are trying to do, but if
you mean to move or copy files using unix commands driven by Squeak,
then the combination of OSProcess and CommandShell will help, but this
would be a platform-specific solution.

Note also that Squeak has the FileCopyPlugin (you may need to build
it yourself with VMMaker if it's not in your VM, I'm not sure). This
is attempt to provide some of the file copy behavior that you are trying
to achieve, and it should work on multiple platforms, so possibly
that would be of some help.

See FileList>>primitiveCopyFileNamed:to: which uses the FileCopyPlugin.

Dave

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology