[squeak-dev] Re: Alternate BlockContext>>forkAt: for Andreas, was #fork and deterministic resumption of the resulting process

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Mon Mar 3 14:44:51 UTC 2008

Hi Igor,

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 21:09:59 +0200, "Igor Stasenko" <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

>snip
>These changes will stop forks from being used in wrong manner and
>effectively eliminate the problem of "letting fork initiator process
>to run little bit more to assign returned value anywhere".

I agree in part.  I actually think fork shouldn't be changed at all.  There is
nothing wrong with fork returning the resulting process.  The calling process
and the new process shouldn't assume anything about the other having been run or
not.

I only came up with my alternative because I couldn't sleep.  I wasn't losing
sleeping trying to fine an alternative.

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.