[squeak-dev] Jeff Raskin's zoom world in Squeak

karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Mon Mar 3 20:16:35 UTC 2008

donna at hawcenter.org wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am the administrator of Hawthorne Center for Innovation located next
> to Fontana in the Riverside area of Southern California.
>
> The Hawthorne Center is supporting a project - part of which involves
> getting Jeff Raskin's (The Human Interface) zoom world into Squeak.
> Before we start we would like to find out if anyone has already done
> work in this area so that we are not reinventing the wheel (or any
> part of it). So, anyone out there who has played around in this area?
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback,
>
> Donna
Here is a little more info:
The comment below is from a change set that was added to Squeak 2.9a.
You may have to load a Squeak version from that timeframe for it to work
as expected.

3006newZoomAndScroll-raa -- Bob Arning -- 20 November 2000
newZoomAndScroll
fifth version:
- preset Alan's preferred scale factors for pan and zoom
- try to keep center of image centered as we zoom
fourth version:
- an effort is made to keep the view full of content
- two sliders are added to experiment with scale factors for pan/tilt and zoom
- we were already doing this: Also, looking ahead into the future a little, each page in the
bookmorph will have its own zoom, pan and tilt settings ....
third version:
- do not rely on continuous mouse moves
- adjust things dropped into inner pasteup so that none extend over left or top edge
second version:
- added scripting commands to StoryboardBookMorph for getting and setting scale, offsetX and offsetY (of the current page).
first version:
- made contents of the zoomer a true playfield in a transformation so multiple morphs are possible
-----
third version:
- zooming/scrolling controls now in a separate area below the page
- Balloon interpolating mode now the default
second version:
- ZoomAndScrollMorph becomes a PasteUpMorph so it can be in a book
- StoryboardBookMorph is a book that uses ZoomAndScrollMorph as its pages
zooming and scolling for Alan
- get a ZoomAndScrollMorph from the new morph/demo menu
- drop any morph in it
- drag mouse horizontally to pan
- drag mouse vertically to zoom
- shift-drag vertically to move up/down
- change the instance variable <usingBalloon> to true to use Balloon"