[squeak-dev] Copying a file from Squeak on Linux

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Mar 4 06:27:10 UTC 2008

The last time I looked at the file plugin on the macintosh (a decade
ago?) sure feels like it. Tim was trying to get it to work as
some way to copy files between a master directory and the build
directory for the first revision of VMMaker..  Yes?

Anyway Apple didn't actually offer a way to copy files between
locations until mmm os-x 10.4 came out, shamed into it I think.
Certainly the OS-9 code ran to a hundred pages, aliases, HFS+ servers,
server aliases, etc etc. Folder/File.

However 10.4 (was it 10.3?) they introduced access control list meta-
data on files and muttered about an API you could use
that would invoke the same logic as the Finder uses to copy an object
from one place to another.   We use that in Sophie, so
the bits go, and so do the multiple dates, permissions, meta-data,
endless list...

Files simple, Yah that would be CP/M

Likely once you did into it the file plugin on unix is *mostly* there,
but really a better solution would be to use FFI, or OSProcess and
invoke the right shell command.

--
=
=