[squeak-dev] Summe of Code 2008 Project ideas

Tansel tansel at squeakonline.com
Wed Mar 5 01:18:17 UTC 2008

I have a couple of ideas for Summer of code projects, I don't know how
relevant they are but they are useful projects for people who are interested
in rnning Squeak on small devices.

One is porting Squeak natively to and/or making it work efficiently on
Chumby.

http://www.chumby.com

Chumby is interesting in a way that it is very hackable both in hardware and
software terms.

Duane Maxwell of Exobox fame is one of the "Chumbians" and I think there is
an initial port of Squeak to Chumby but I don't know how usable that port
is. There seems to be no direct downloadable.

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index.php/Squeak

I guess the best person to mentor such a project would be Tim if he has any
time and interest in mentoring such a project and/or he'd know the next best
person to mentor it.

Another project that could be useful would be to harvest the minimal UI in
an image I did about 8 years ago and released last year to the public. This
UI is very minimal and doesn't require MVC or Morphic, yet it could look
great and can do a lot. It ran comfortably on machines with 8MB memory. Such
a UI would be relevant to use in devices such as Chumby and Pablo Oliveira's
Nintendo DS port (BTW great work Pablo!). It also has a crude Squeak based
virtual keyboard hack which could be enhanced a great deal or redone in a
better way. We also have a use for such a UI in some embedded work we are
doing.

I could mentor this project.

The PDA demo resides at:

http://www.squeakonline.com/downloads/cedemo.zip