[squeak-dev] Re: Boolean over-optimization #ifTrue:/#ifFalse:

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 07:10:51 UTC 2008

On 05/03/2008, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So, the only way is to compile method without optimization of #ifTrue #ifFalse:,
>  >  to make sure they do real sends?
>

> Just today in my blog-reader:
>
>  http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/mls/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=Boolean_Objects&entry=3382109971

Oh, this one is useful. I can test in #mustBeBoolean if my proxy
simulating true or false and return true or false to continue
evaluation.
Thanks for advice.

>  This should also work in Squeak.
>

>  >  If yes, i'd like to see optimizations optional, so people can do like:
>  >
>  >  Compiler turnOffOptimizations.
>

> That will not only kill your performance ...

I run methods with proxies to simulate evaluation of method over
different object memory.
In this case, a correct message sending semantics is much more
important than speed.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.