[squeak-dev] Summe of Code 2008 Project ideas

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Wed Mar 5 16:43:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 16:50 +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2008, at 16:42 , Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 16:17 +0100, cdrick wrote:
> >> in the same spirit, I think squeakNOS for eeepc would be excellent
> >> :)... especially in a touch screen version
> >> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VaerIGpO5Q&feature=related only a
> >> mod
> >> for windows right now but should be in production for newer version).
> >>
> >> Cédrick
> >>
> > Ok, than the project would be to write a software layer which enables
> > us to use linux device drivers. Without utilizing devices even squeak
> > is not much fun :)
>
> Actually, writing device drivers is not that hard if you know the
> hardware. The XO contains drivers for all its hardware in its
> firmware (OFW, written in Forth), and rumor has it that no driver is
> larger than 2 pages.

I don't want to write device drivers, I want to use devices. I'm not
working with dedicated hardware like the XO. Most of the time I collect
old hardware and turn it into some project. The amount of drivers you
would have to write to do the job is tremendous.
Or to say it in other words: I want to use squeak on the hardware I
can get. I don't want to buy the right hardware in order to be able to
run squeak ;)

And if no device driver for the XO is larger than two pages the devices
in the XO are simple. Very good!

> Besides, SqueakNOS already has drivers for a variety of PC hardware.

I'll have a look at it once more.

Norbert