[squeak-dev] Re: Summer(s) of Code 2007/2008

Giovanni Corriga giovanni at corriga.net
Fri Mar 7 01:20:01 UTC 2008

Klaus D. Witzel ha scritto:
> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 23:04:21 +0100, giovanni <giovanni at corriga.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> in no more than two weeks, the 2008 edition of the Google Summer of
>> Code will
>> start.
>> ... In
>> comparison to last year's effort, I propose two changes:

>> - we choose more "down to earth" projects that have a bigger
>> possibility of being included in the software we release (the main
>> Squeak image, Seaside, Croquet etc).
>
> I doubt that can be decided in advance, i.e. before a SoC project
> delivers. Also, applicants who aim more for a package based on Squeak
> than for an integral part of a Squeak release are unfortunately shyed away.
>
> Are there really such an overwhelming number of applicants and, do most
> of them propose compilers, dev tools, SCM tools, image shrink-dryers,
> modularizators, traitisizers, bang-new-UIs and the like?

Hi Klaus,

I don't mean that all the projects must be oriented toward inclusion in
the Squeak image, such as compilers etc. What I'd like is having
projects that can possibly be delivered in little more than two months
of work, and that in case may have a good possibility to be included.
The problem with some of last year's project was that the scope was so
wide that it was very difficult for the student to deliver more than
some kind of prototype.

	Giovanni