[squeak-dev] I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 01:30:14 UTC 2008

On 14/03/2008, Brian T. Rice <water at tunes.org> wrote:

>  On Mar 13, 2008, at 5:58 PM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>
>  > On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 05:48:29PM -0700, Brian T. Rice wrote:
>  >>
>  >> On Mar 13, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Janko Miv?ek wrote:
>  >>
>  >>> Hi Squeakers,
>  >>>
>  >>> I'd like to announce that I'm seriously thinking about helping
>  >>> Squeak
>  >>> community with stepping up as a WebTeam team leader.
>  >>>
>  >>> Let me introduce myself a bit: I already have an experience
>  >>> building up
>  >>> and maintaining content on Aida/Web site and I also got some
>  >>> experience
>  >>> how to do promotion and how to do a Search Engine Optimizations
>  >>> (SEO).
>  >>
>  >> While SEO experience is an important skill for website management,
>  >> I think
>  >> you are too partisan in your marketing for Aida and against Seaside
>  >> to be a
>  >> serious candidate. I've done some basic effective SEO tasks, and
>  >> the Squeak
>  >> website itself could certainly be improved in that way, I fear that
>  >> your
>  >> solutions will inherently involve your favorite hammer rather than
>  >> working
>  >> within Seaside (aka "what we have") the ways it provides.
>  >
>  > For what it's worth, practically none of the Squeak website uses
>  > Seaside:
>  >
>  > - squeak.org uses Smallwiki, which has it's own web engine.
>

> Not Smallwiki2/Pier? Huh, that's what I thought was there.
>

>  > - swiki uses swiki, which uses PWS
>  > - lists.squeakfoundation.org uses Mailman, a python tool
>  > - bugs.squeak.org uses Mantis, a php tool
>  > - map.squeak.org uses HttpView2
>  > - people.squeakfoundation.org uses some php tool
>  > - source.squeakfoundation.org uses SqueakSource, which uses
>  >  seaside.
>  >
>  > So, Seaside can't really be said to be "what we have"
>

> Yeah, I'm aware of these, but it's helpful to see them presented as
>  such a group. Well then, maybe Aida is a step forward if Janko (or his
>  Aida users) can deliver and maintain what he seems to intend. But any
>  upgrades should start with the Swiki since it has a large amount of
>  content and isn't an externally-maintained piece of software (it's
>  effectively abandonware). I certainly won't say that I like or prefer
>  that these are all in various technologies, some grottier than others,
>  but information visibility should be the lead goal.
>
>  I *would* like SqueakSource to be MUCH more friendly to external
>  linking (some would say RESTful; I just want it SEO-friendly) but we'd
>  need to wrangle some effort in that direction (no one in charge of SqS
> [...]

If Janko can push things with Aida, i don't mind so. Between
stagnation and movement i choose movement.
If he haves enough time to commit himself to fully reworking site
content under new platform, it is only for a good, no matter what
platform it is.

P.S. i'd prefer seaside, because i know a little about it :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.