[squeak-dev] Re: +1 for the Web tool debate [was: We need new Web Team leader (Was: I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31)]

karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Fri Mar 14 12:05:52 UTC 2008

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> [no offense]
> - the press room is o-u-t-d-a-t-e-d
+1
> - the screenshots are o-u-t-d-a-t-e-d (UI enhancements?)
+1
> - new initiatives are m-i-s-s-i-n-g
+1
>  (example http://www.google.com/search?q=hydra+site:www.squeak.org)
>  (http://www.google.com/search?q=summer+of+code+site:www.squeak.org)
> - http://www.squeak.org/Download/ is w-a-y t-o-o l-a-r-g-e
+1
> - layout+design (esp. colors) could use some f-r-e-s-h ideas
+1

> These are no pressing issues, I always thought they will be addressed
> sooner or later; but you asked n-o-w.

One pressing issue is that the webteam mailing list is exposed to
webbots so the moderation job can be quite overwhelming. One solution is
to use a captcha but there is no captcha for Smallwiki, (there is one
for Smallwiki2) and there are so few users of Smallwiki and even fewer
developers.

I suggest using a web framework that has backing from a community and
have many developers so we don't have to migrate once the only developer
folds.

Karl