[squeak-dev] I'm stepping down as WebTeam Leader Mars 31

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 21:35:50 UTC 2008

Thanks Ken.

I have read this thread thoroughly and I understand Brian's
perspective.  I don't have a strong leaning one way or the other,
though I didn't quite care for the tone of Brian's email (though I may
have read into it more than I should have -- which is always possible
in email -- so Sorry Brian if I inferred a tone that you weren't
implying).

While I don't claim any authority on the team or the site, here are
some of my concerns (off the top of my head):
- the site ought to be written in Smalltalk
- we need to lessen the burden of disk space, which would require a
lot of (too much?) development in the current site
    - base size of the image is a little hefty
    - if the image holds the data, we have to snapshot and copy the
image -- but if the content is external, we can back up the content
more frequently (with a much better compression rate than the image)
and back up the image much less frequently
- the content should be easily manipulated, without requiring editing
the image directly
- the current image is quite old (3.7 variant, I believe) and doesn't
take advantage of recent improvements in Squeak (FastSocket comes to
mind)

There are other concerns (eg. look and feel) that others are welcome
to chime in on.  FWIW: I like the look'n'feel of our site.

--
Jason