[squeak-dev] Deployment mode vs development mode

Noury Bouraqadi bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr
Sun Mar 16 00:32:29 UTC 2008

Hi,

In Easy Morphic Gui (EMG) [1], there is an edit mode. Each GUI morph
has an edit checkbox in the red halo menu. Once checked it hase
different impacts:
-edit menu items displayed
-separators and containers become visible
-the GUI morph accepts drops

In a future version of EMG, I plan to introduce image "lock down"
support before distributing an image to users. One effect of lock down
will be to remove the edit checkbox and hence disable EMG Guis edition.

Noury
[1] http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/EasyMorphicGUI

On 15 mars 08, at 04:35, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Just seen Dan's presentation of Lively Kernel, and one of the
> questions was
> that system, given high flexibility lacks a distinction between user
> mode and developer mode.
> Same we are see in squeak's morphic world.
> I'm wondering, if future UI/graphics frameworks, like Morphic 3 can
> take this into account:
> еo limit 'openness' of system to certain amount, when things running
> in sort of 'deployed' mode.
>
> Like, for instance, if i'm having a browser window open, i shouldn't
> be able to drag and drop random morphs in it or change inner morphs on
> the fly in any way.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Noury Bouraqadi
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Responsable de l'enseignement de l'informatique
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org