[squeak-dev] Running a custom image in a Web browser

Aran Lunzer aran at meme.hokudai.ac.jp
Mon Mar 17 16:51:14 UTC 2008

Hi

I'm having trouble figuring out how to let people run my Squeak-based
application within a Web browser.  I thought this would be a pretty common
thing to want to do, but a couple of hours of Googling hasn't provided the
answers.

To start with I tried installing the Squeakland plugin, with the intention
of simply subverting whatever happens there.  The installation seemed to
go fine, but neither IE(7) nor Mozilla can show the embedded image for the
http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/launch.html test page.  IE shows a
"broken picture" icon; Mozilla shows empty space.  Neither gives any kind
of error message.

Being on Vista, I thought perhaps file-access security was getting in the
way... possibly related to the c:\ProgramData folder.  But even giving
full access rights to all users there didn't seem to help.  I also tried
relaxing various Internet-domain security settings, to no avail.  Not sure
what to try next.

So I have two questions:

1) what's the most straightforward way of persuading a Web browser (I
don't mind which flavour) to load my own Squeak (3.7, as it happens)
image?

2) for a start, is there some known issue in getting the Squeakland plugin
to work on Vista?

Many thanks

Aran
--