[squeak-dev] Fwd: Web page with status of squeak license issue resolution?

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 19:36:14 UTC 2008

2008/3/18, John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>:

> Ok, it's worth mentioning then that via funding from Viewpoints
> Research Institute, Inc I am working on a
> GStreamer plugin for squeak in order to address video licensing issues
> on linux based machines, aka OLPC.
>
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/
>
> With a target completion date the end of March.
>
> Although the standard set of GStreamer features does not support MPEG,
> those patent encumbered codecs are GStreamer loadable options.

Great, gstreamer would allow many video sources. I'm thinking not only on
mpeg, even flv video could be used, so we could watch youtube from Squeak
:-D

I just would like to ask this plugin and others as dbus and tome plugins to
be included in the main squeak vm branch. It does not make too much sense
having these features and not being included in the "official" unix vm
image. The dbus plugin could be kept appart as it's mostly for olpc
features, but it does not make any damage including it in the main vm and
would let the linux users having the same vm for any computer, including
olpc.

Regards.

How this will be supported on os-x and windows is unknown since