Squeak Release Roadmap? (Was:Re: [squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2)

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Mar 20 10:21:22 UTC 2008

El 3/20/08 1:29 AM, "Igor Stasenko" <siguctua at gmail.com> escribió:

> What about making a more formal approach concerning next release?
It would be
> very useful to have a roadmap, what features we want in
next release.
We can
> divide things/initiatives onto subprojects and place this on a
web page. This
> will serve good both for historical and organizational
reasons.
This will help
> community (and newcomers) to be certain in what
direction we are moving and
> what most of us want to see in next
release.

+1 for me.

I resume my view, for all could send feedback and we could collect
somewhere.

3.10 was the first release with some "package out" from previous 3.9 in
automatic and predictable way.

For this take the learning of Pavel with his Kernel and MinimalMorphic and
mine from SqueakLight.

Of course the list of people doing shrinking is  bigger , as I put in my old
pages about SqueakLight http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3935

I wish going as close is possible towards MinimalMorphic, reshape current
Morphic (1.3 mb mcz) with my old "Ladrillos "
http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos.html

I have the new ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 class, as we have in the old days and
use again in 3dot10.

So this class documents all shrinking and reorganization I propose.

I see in this days some propose having Smalltalk current cleanUp using the
Ramon Leon script as start point.

Being off line , I put a cleanupPhaseFinal in ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11  with
some things I was discovering in the shrinking process.

So , I was ready for cut the following from 3.10
'Tests' 'SMLoader' 'SMBase' 'SUnit' 'SUnitGUI' 'ScriptLoader' 'Universes'
'Installer' 'XML-Parser' 'BookMorphandFriends' 'EToys-StarSqueak'
'MorphicExtras-Demo' 'MorphicExtras-Components' 'EToys'

Still some more polish needed and agree with Pavel if this was the best
reorg and take all methods changes needed from MinimalMorphic or do the
needed ajustments.

For Squeak3.10.gamma.7159.image
Smalltalk size  1947

For MinimalMorphic.19
Smalltalk size   1278

For "tentative" Squeak 3.11
Smalltalk size 1495

And we have Flaps and could load and unload projects.

So I think this was a good nine months target for polishing all and trying
DeltaStreams / Monticello2 as update mechanism

Edgar