[squeak-dev] Re: Accented character input

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Mar 20 16:54:09 UTC 2008

  José,

  Thank you for checking!

> A stupid checking:
> adding the class UTF32InputInterpreter to the image (if it's not an olpc image that already has this class), and
> assuring that Latin1Environment>>inputInterpreterClass returns UTF32InputInterpreter , everything works with current
> mainstream squeak-vm. None of the last changes on the olpc image are
> needed (at least for spanish language).

  Everything, including accented character input with "dead_keys"?
Hmm.

> It's a very simple fix, I can not understand why this method is nowadays still returning  MacRomanInputInterpreter.
> Any reason to justify it?
> Even in the olpc image there is a long conditional to assure MacRomanInputInterpreter is returned when sugar is not
> present: am I loosing something or there is no justification for
> this behaviour?

  Wtih update 1925 to the etoys 3.0 stream, I ditched the "long"
conditional and now it simply returns UTF32InputInterpreter.

-- Yoshiki

Actually, we should take care of the case when somebody trys to run
the new image on an old VM (UTF32InputInterpreter should look at the
third entry in the event array when sixth is zero...)