[squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Mar 20 22:51:13 UTC 2008

El 3/20/08 1:55 PM, "Michael Davies" <mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com> escribió:

>  Removal of non-core packages including eToys and Nebraska.
No removal of eToys and Nebraka in 3.10, was delayed for 3.11 for we wish
play safe, compatible and give time to Pavel.
For 3.11 I hope we go towards MinimalMorphic, if all agree and we could move
several packages out of Squeak.
And any could load again via Paqckage Universes.

> - Consistent use of Monticello to manage package dependencies.

Yes, all release was done using mocking .cs and doing Monticello packages in
3.10 repository.
Except in two cases, we could hit the updates button as in older releases,
but people also could download complete images if they like this way.
The lesson here is Monticello is not a good idea for a complete release.
Currently Matthew is working on DeltaStreams and Colin on Monticello 2, no
decision on which one we could use at this date.

>- Package Universes for improved compatibility between packages.
Yes and is working super. Building complex images is easier .
> - Bug policy requiring all fixes to include unit tests.
Yes, and the requirements means we have less as in previous releases,
German confirm this morning in IRC only two yellow tests from more of 2200
in Windows,
Test could give different on different OS.
I test all in Tiger OS X, Windows XP and Simply MEPIS 6.5 Linux.
> - All code under old licences has been identified, and
> [all/much/some???] of it replaced.
Not for 3.10. It's top priority for any future Squeak.
> - All code under old licences has been identified, and
> [all/much/some???] of it replaced.
We do a "base" image,
All tools could load later , via Universes or people could download
specialized images like Damiens dev image.
> [- Improved stability???]
Hard to say, people have the last word here, but no major troubles IMHO

> [- Improved performance???]
> [- Smaller memory usage???]
No big changes.
> Thanks to the 3.10 release team including Ralph Johnson, Edgar De
> Cleene, Matthew Fulmer, Craig Latta, [XXXX others?].

Many others work silent on Mantis. His names and contributions could be
learned in the History of 3.10 window.
I say some bug reports deserve showing to students how some bug was found,
discuss, fixes was suggested and test was done.
Mantis is a code vault for braves !
I have the 3.11 tentative ready, we could move several packages out safe now
and go to a 75% size of final size,
Also we could break Morphic in more easy to work packages

Edgar