[squeak-dev] Re: How to compile FreeType Plugin (FT2Plugin)?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Mar 21 03:36:25 UTC 2008

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> My humble 2 cents.
> Fonts require a complete refactoring:
> - in a ways how font interacts with canvas
> - in a ways how font interacts with primitives (if any)
> - use more simplified approach for rendering

I disagree. Look at AbstractFont and tell me what is complicated about
it, or how it should interact differently with canvas or how it could
use a "more simplified" approach for rendering. Fonts in Squeak are
trivial - they have a tiny protocol to install, measure and display text
and that protocol is fundamentally sound. It is *very* easy to create a
new subclass of Font and have it your way. What is messed up in Squeak
isn't fonts, it's TextStyle, Paragraph, and CharacterScanner.

Cheers,
   - Andreas