[squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Mar 21 09:42:37 UTC 2008

El 3/20/08 8:12 PM, "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn at stonehenge.com> escribió:

> Unless we *need* a new sources (as we did for 3.9), I'd suggest using the 3.9.
> After all, the *next* release might be the first license-fixed release, and
> then we *will* need a new sources file.  Having lots of different Sources
> files doesn't make sense.
>
> Just my opinion.  Not an official board position, although I think we can put
> that on the next meeting's agenda.

I copy mail send to v3dotlist

> .sources have a 32 Mb limit.
> This was the origin Steph and Markus should made two SqueakV39.sources.
> At the beginning of 3.10 I warning this and the alternatives was
>
> 1) Deliver 3.10 with new 3.10.sources
> 2) Take Dan condenseSources for having compressed ones
> 3) Take Klaus 512 mb patch
>
> Ralph made a superior scheme , for having empty changes.
> The guy in charge of this was Maurice Raab,
>
> For real different way, I have my own how to deal with this in
> ftp://edgardec:squeak@squeakros.atspace.com:21/squeakros.atspace.com/Compresse
> dClasses
> date is 16/07/05 ....
> Could do same with the tentative image or any image we pick as start point.
> You could do
>
> | server hay unzipped zipped |
> server := (ServerDirectory serverNamed: 'SqueakRos').
> dir := server directoryNamed: 'CompressedClasses'.
> hay := dir entries detect: [ :any| any name = 'Url.sqz'] ifNone:[].
> hay ifNotNil: [self halt .
>     zipped:=  dir getFileNamed: 'Url.sqz'.
>     unzipped := RWBinaryOrTextStream with: (GZipReadStream decompressFile:
> zipped) contents.]
>
> and feed File Contens Browser for later processing

And I have the procedure for 3.11 ready to any could try

'From Squeak3.10beta of 22 July 2007 [latest update: #7159] on 12 March 2008
at 5:51:23 am'!

!ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 methodsFor: 'sources managment' stamp: 'edc
2/12/2008 09:04'!
createCompressedSources
" ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 new createCompressedSources"
| unzipped nameToUse zipped buffer dir |
ProtoObject allSubclassesWithLevelDo:[:cl :l|
    dir := self createDirIfnotExists:cl category.

    Cursor write showWhile: [nameToUse :=  cl printString .
        (dir fileExists: nameToUse) ifFalse:[
            unzipped :=RWBinaryOrTextStream on: ''.
            unzipped header; timeStamp.
     cl  fileOutOn: unzipped moveSource: false toFile: 0.
    unzipped trailer.

            unzipped reset.
            zipped := dir newFileNamed: (nameToUse, FileDirectory dot,
ImageSegment compressedFileExtension).
    zipped binary.
    zipped := GZipWriteStream on: zipped.
    buffer := ByteArray new: 50000.
    'Compressing ', nameToUse displayProgressAt: Sensor cursorPoint
        from: 0 to: unzipped size
        during:[:bar|
            [unzipped atEnd] whileFalse:[
                bar value: unzipped position.
                zipped nextPutAll: (unzipped nextInto: buffer)].
            zipped close.
            unzipped close]]]] startingLevel: 0! !

!ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 methodsFor: 'sources managment' stamp: 'edc
2/12/2008 07:43'!
createDirIfnotExists: aDirName
(FileDirectory default directoryExists:aDirName)
        ifFalse: [FileDirectory default createDirectory: aDirName].
    ^FileDirectory default directoryNamed: aDirName! !

So I ask Board for start 3.11, and made changes on the road.

I know top priority is licensing.

My proposal is move out of "base" image to Monticello the following
packages.

'Tests' 'SMLoader' 'SMBase' 'SUnit' 'SUnitGUI' 'ScriptLoader' 'Universes'
'Installer' 'XML-Parser' 'BookMorphandFriends' 'MorphicExtras-Demo'
'MorphicExtras-Components' 'EToys' .

And with this out, have sense doing new sources.

Edgar